Dogpiling is a form of cyberbullying, when a large number of accounts target one post or person. This can happen very easily on Twitter. It has happened to me many times, escalating because I decided to navigate back through the abusive crap to see where the sources of it were from. Usually, I would recommend on Twitter to lock up an account temporarily until the abusive accounts move on like a swarm of locusts. The image below has some of the names I was called by strangers because I didn't share the same identity politics. I screenshot and blocked an estimated 100 accounts in a short time (days). I am sitting on a cesspool of over 1000 screenshots related to the recent abuse, which has actually gone on for a few years.
How to be the target of a massive dogpile
- Have a Twitter account that is unlocked (open to the public).
- Dare to express an opinion that goes against identity politics group indoctrination.
- Being a vulnerable person (eg mental health struggles) makes an easier target.
- Even a small account is a big threat to fragile identity politics (when someone makes their self-ID labels their whole identity and everyone else cast as an oppressor).
- Express opinions like 'self-diagnosis is unwise' and 'I don't believe in cloudgender if you feel cloudy'.
- Disagree with someone with a big account and a blue tick that has set up followers to target someone else with same diagnosis but different political views.
- Dare to publicly support the person who has been targeted (therefore putting a target on your own back too). This can mean commenting on their tweets and pointing out how ideology based on neurodiversity and intersectionality (race, gender etc) has become a cult.
- Dare to have the opinion that genetic research is not eugenics.
- Dare to point out the hypocrisy of big accounts who instigate dog-piles, pile-ons.
- Be observant to the gossip by the smaller accounts greasing up to the big accounts by lying about you publicly, armchair diagnosing you and calling you a bully (projecting).
- When the pile-on happens, it's fast and brutal with abuse and name-calling. From complete strangers, some of whom will have sockpuppet or alt accounts to make out that there are more of them and to see behind blocks.
- Usually at this stage, it is best to block and lock, but if you want to find the source of it, risk escalating, you can look further into this (note: this may have a worsening effect on your mental health).
- The most gossiping, lying account will easily lead to the other main ringleaders. One doesn't even have to be logged in to see public posts, blocked or not.
- Those you block will celebrate being blocked as if it's some kind of trophy.
- Others will complain it's block evasion if see their lies and gossip and other abuse if they block. They are massive hypocrites as they evade blocks themselves and the big accounts ask their followers to stalk. Apparently it's only stalking and predatory if you do it, not them.
- Don't waste your breath on obvious trolls. Screenshot and block.
- There is no time to engage with those who want to 'discuss' in a dog-pile. Block those who are not in good faith discussion under stress too. They are trying to bait you into saying something to try and get you banned for.
- If you really want to know where it's coming from, look at the account who lies and gossips about you publicly the most. Their mutual followers who are also gossiping will lead to the sources. Although, they will take some of the gossiping into private messages if they know you are watching their blatant public smearing.
- The abusive accounts will give you abusive nicknames to try stop you searching for their gossip. Again, just look to the account who publicly lies and gossips about you the most to easily find the other ringleaders. This account asslicks a big account you disagreed with who condones abuse based on politics. The big account lights the fires, runs away and has their followers do the blatant abuse.
- When you find the original tweets, they will have been screenshot to be shared to followers, distributed hundreds or thousands of times. They might have tried to be funny. Their followers don't even take xenogenders seriously and make up more on the spot.
- An account changes their name to 'wafflegender' with some expletives directed at you, saying it's because of you ('wafflegender pride') because you said xenogenders like aliengender was waffle.
- If you dare call out you know who it is, such as screenshotting back, they will soon be on your case and smearing you, further. A double dog-pile of two of your tweets at once by the same group of troublemakers is particularly aggressive. If you're good at pattern recognition, it's possible to lead back to the source. It is like going backwards through sewers full of shit.
- They will label you terf, transphobic, ableist, racist, misogynist, antisemitic, Karen, bully, liar, fascist and lots of expletives. Remember this is projection - really about themselves. The labels are to put targets on your back for abuse from more strangers.
- They will call you 'white' even if you are 'mixed'. Then say you have white-passing privilege if you correct them. They say this to call you an oppressor with their identity politics Olympics.
- If you dare expose their shit with screenshots of their abuse, they will escalate further, accusing you of their own shit (saying you are dangerous to evade a block when they evaded a block to see too). Massive hypocrites.
- They will threaten to leave malicious reviews on your self-published books. Petty intimidation tactics. That is why it is unwise to state your phone number, where you study, work etc publicly as sooner or later, the mob will be for you.
- If you block them, they will come back with alt accounts, making clear that you just blocked their main account. Then if block again, they will create an account just for you. Just screenshot and block if you are being dogpiled. It takes time to report abusive tweets and Twitter don't usually do anything. By all means, report abuse you see of someone else.
- If you keep having a voice, they will carry out their threats to leave fake and malicious reviews on your books. It's easy to tell who it is, as they boast on social media and are centred around the same half dozen troublemakers who are centered around the main gossiping account.
- It's obvious they didn't even read your books or a few did with intent to smear. They will 'live tweet' malicious reviews saying how terrible your memoir is and what are terrible person you are. Especially if you didn't edit out the word 'Aspie' which is considered to be from the Nazis.
- They say your art is ugly and your books are shit.
- If you are a vulnerable person with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and you dare reveal that you are not doing well with the abuse, such as a photo showing your distress, they will accuse you of crocodile tears.
- They will celebrate that they enjoy bullying a bully (they have labelled you a bully). They mock that your lips are blue in the photo (indicator of lack of oxygen from the shortness of breath).
- They will take your face and put it through a face app to distort it so that you have a fake smile and fake teeth and call it poo poo pee pee. They will retweet and laugh all over Twitter, triggering your social anxiety and PTSD.
- They will find it amusing if you screenshot the tweet of the abuse (again, easy to find the source if you recognise patterns - they are all linked).
- You will have multiple strangers encouraging to leave bad fake reviews on your books and also mass reporting your Tweets, trying to get you banned.
- When your mental health is so shredded that you lock your account after figuring out all the main trouble makers, they are shocked, then celebrate as a 'win.'
- If you put a link up of a video about cyberbullying on your bio, the mob will flood to that video and leave thumbs downs and rant and rave at you. Exceeding a record for thumbsdowns on any of your videos (including the most viewed video with over 28k views).
- You put a message up that you will not be replying anymore to trolling messages and told trolls to ask themselves why they are so desperate to be validated by a stranger. That is screenshot and shared. You let them yell into the void for a day, then you block them and delete their trolling comments.
- You will be accused of misgendering because you referred to 'they' meaning plural more than one person with similar behaviour rather than singular 'they' from an enby (someone identifying as non-binary) who has decided not to go by 'they/them' pronouns but wants special pronouns.
- You will be accused of being antisemitic if wasn't sure if an account was the same as an abusive account on Twitter because the troublemaker went by more than one name, one Jewish (you are also supposed to remember all their names and pronouns for those who are 'plural' - which is not possible if you have short-term memory impairments with your disabilities).
- In your final videos, you are coughing because you have shortness of breath from anxiety. You mostly hide how severely affected you are, as bullies like to rejoice in kicking you when you're down.
- A follower made a fan art portrait of you when you were battle weary, which captured fierce energy.
- When your account is locked, you admit to your followers that you have suicidal ideation triggered by all the abuse.
- An account you are friendly with runs to the main abusive accounts to tell them, pleading and begging with them to stop. Along with some accounts you have never heard of before (one admitted one was their alt). Their white-knighting made things worse.
- The group of abusive accounts reacted with claims that you are manipulating with suicide threats. One of these accounts was the original manipulative, gossiper who obtained a copy of your book with intention to leave a malicious review.
- Your doctor calls about something else and immediately refers you to the crisis team as your suidical ideation is intense. The crisis team say that you are doing the right things and tells you to contact the police. The police said an online report can be submitted.
- The troublemakers mock about the police. One also accuses your memoir of having beastiality and child endangerment (apparently adults having sex in the same house as a child asleep in their own room is child endangerment).
- You make the decision to stay locked permanently. In a fragile state, you face up to make one last video, saying you won't make anymore. It's too triggering for your social anxiety and PTSD.
- You can't trust anyone, so you block the accounts who defended you because they also called you names like 'terf' and made public a screenshot of your tweet while in lock up.
- The account you were friendly with reacts with private and public abuse. You wonder if you were ever friends in the first place. You are called ungrateful. You are lied about how the friendship ended. You don't need more drama so that friendship is definitely over.
- For weeks after locking your account, the ringleaders gossip about you, continuing to smear.
- Another account you used to be friendly with publicly declares the dogpiling of you as 'sweet'. This person preaches inclusivity and is mutual follows with all the main group of abusive accounts and has made an account to target someone else in the past.
- The big account you originally disagreed with over identity politics washes hands of it (their followers did the dirty work after it was instigated by complaining about what you said). They are rewarded by their flock with donations. You are punished with mob bullying as 'accountability', then accused of being the bully.
- You are accused of 'libel' for what another account said, reading one side of a conversation (as your tweets are no longer visible to the public). Behind a mutual block, the account claiming libels begs with you after encouraging friends to leave bad reviews on your book.
- This account's friends share this rumour and said they will fundraise for legal fees to sue you for the fake libel.
- These obsessed accounts monitor your communications with your mutual followers (you had a bit cull of suspicious accounts and know some will be disloyal).
- The obsessed accounts start talking to your followers, even commenting on things like you have big boobs.
- The accounts who defended you yet at the same time betrayed you, so you blocked them start seeming like they are defending you again. With an additional 'stalker' attached which also claims to know about you (same person making their own stalker for extra drama?)
- You are accused of 'playing the victim'. You are called a loser and a bad person.
- One of the troublemakers who repeatedly lied about you claims you are writing a book about 'em'. Nah, 'eir' life is too tediously boring.
- Somewhere amongst all this mess, you are admitted to hospital for shortness of breath and chest tightness. You have tests for heart attack. Doctors conclude it was anxiety from constantly activated PTSD.
- You talk to Netsafe. Netsafe's priority was your safety then de-escalation. Discussed some options. They offered to mediate with one of the main ringleaders but that is pretty useless as they make multiple accounts and already smeared you. Cyberbullying is a crime in New Zealand but it may be hard to prosecute as the abusive accounts are overseas.
- The smearing has gone on for over two years, escalating recently when you called out their lying shit.
- You are sitting on a cesspool of screenshots of their abuse. You consider covering their names but over a month ago, you decided not to cover those who abuse you publicly.
- Most of these accounts are anonymous. They also can easily change account name. You noticed that the account who made the meme has changed name at least three times. It's easy to tell, as their old names are still in the replies by followers, if you look through the cesspool of Twitter.
- It's triggering to revisit the abuse, but you will not be silenced. Some of the Tweets will be uploaded to this blog, in between self-care. It might stir the troublemakers again for a bit.
- It will take some time to sort through the screenshots of the abuse for some more posts related to this.
- You need to process this as well as prioritise self-care before you focus on more books (very challenging projects with your disabilities).
- Bad publicity was still publicity. It was nasty having so many stalkers obsessed with you. It is futile to engage with them. You want some more privacy to continue with your creative endeavours.
- You have your Twitter locked permanently so you can no longer be dogpiled. You still want connection with healthier accounts. You are done with making YouTube videos about mental health after two years. You said what you needed to say with that format and will leave them up as a resource.
- You are called a coward by those who mob bullied as keyboard warriors, like a clan of hyenas. Your supporters call you courageous.
- You are blamed from all directions and accused of triggering PTSD yourself and accused of using PTSD to shield from accountability.
- When you have time, you will have another cull of your Twitter account. All of the abusive accounts had pronouns in bio, often several. Those are indicators of allegiance to the intersectionality identity politics cult.
Xanthe finds creative expression including writing and painting to be therapeutic and helps her to manage her diagnoses of bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).